Welcome to Chebeague Island Inn on beautiful Chebeague Island in Maine! Located in Casco Bay, Chebeague Island can be reached by private boat or ferry. The ferries are located nearby in Portland and Cousin’s Island. A true Maine gem, this little island will transport you back in time as you take in the simple things and enjoy Maines’s natural wonders while staying at a beautiful historic inn.
My mom visited us last week from California and I was so excited to take her to Maine for her first time. She absolutely fell in love with Maine’s small-town feel, coastline, trees, and views. We visited the Chebeague Island Inn for a mother/daughter trip and It really was the perfect getaway.
About the Inn
Chebeague Island Inn was originally known as the Hillcrest Hotel and was built in the 1880’s. In the early 1920’s the hotel burned down and then was later rebuilt in the 1920’s. In 2000 the Hillcrest became known as the Chebeague Island Inn and is now part of the Haycreek Hotels Collection. The inn is truly a gem on this island and “the” spot to go for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Even as you head to the island on the ferry coming from cousins island you will see the yellow hotel high up on a hill in the distance as you arrive.
The grounds of Chebeague Island Inn are just breathtaking. Natural and filled with flowers, veggies, and butterflies there are plenty of spots to get lost in a book and let your mind wander. My mom and I read a ton while on this trip and really enjoyed the gorgeous wrap-around porch that faces the golf course and ocean. There’s plenty of games in the lobby to bring out on the porch or in your room to play with family and friends as well as a library full of old books to read if you forgot one at home!
Exteriors and Grounds
How to get there
Chebeague Island Inn is about 3.5 hours from Connecticut and you can drive here or fly into Portland, ME.
How to get to the island? There are two options!
- Cousins Island park in the Cumberland parking lot and take the shuttle bus to Cousins Island. This will be a 15-minute ferry ride to the hotel and drops you off right by the hotel! Call the inn ahead of time for a ride up the hill or take the short walk if it’s nice weather!
- Casco Bay Lines This is about an hour to Chebeague but gives you a beautiful view of the different islands in Casco Bay.
I will say that the rooms are cozy as It is a historic inn. They are light-filled though and It was really awesome to smell and feel the ocean breeze through our open window. Please note that the hotel does not have A/C – they do provide fans in each room and the weather is usually quite comfortable.
What to do
Here’s a list of ideas for you to do while visiting the island!
• Lawn games, including bocce ball and corn hole and of course, board games!
• Bicycle Riding: Take a day and go bicycle riding around the island!
• Hiking/Running: Bring your backpack, some snacks, and some good shoes and do some hiking! We saw so many runners while there – it’s a great place to clear your mind.
• Hang out at the beach! Be sure to ask the staff for some chairs and towels for a nice beach day! They also have boxed lunch options which would be perfect for this.
• Get out on the water! Go on a sailings excursion or ride the Casco Bay Lines to see several of the islands on the pay from Chebeague to Portland! We did this and really enjoyed it as we wanted to go out on the water and see some of the sights. It was a fun ride and only $11 per person!
• Play some Tennis or a round of golf!
• Some other ideas…
• Get married!! The Chebeague Island Inn is the perfect spot to say your “I do’s”. Make a weekend of it and get married on the sweetest little island in Maine! If you need a fabulous wedding photographer…you know who to call! LOL Here’s my photography website!
• Go to the LL Bean Flashship store just 15 minutes from the parking lot drop off for the cousins ferry parking lot.
Map of the Island
Feel free to save this map of the island for your trip to Chebeague! This is right from the Chebeague Island Inn website and can also be found there for reference.
Guys…the food at Chebeague Island Inn is SO so so good. I’m a bit picky on my food and I will tell you that I would legitimately take that ferry from Portland to Chebeague Island Inn just to grab some dinner! The chefs are Matt Gin and Hannah Ryder and they truly have a beautiful menu filled with fresh ingredients and natural colors.
My mom and I were counting down to meal times so that we could try out another item on their menu. LOL My favorite was the heirloom and burrata salad and the Chebeague burger! For breakfast be sure to get the fresh out of the oven lemon scone – to die for! My mom told me that the Casco Bay lobster was the best lobster she’s ever had and she also loved the Bang Island mussels!
Look how colorful all of the food is?! It’s a feast for your eyes AND your mouth.
My mom and I made some wonderful memories at the Chebeague Island Inn that we will always cherish. I’m so happy we got to go here for a few days, spend some quality time together and truly relax. Maine time is the best time and I was 100% ready for it after this busy wedding season!